I have decided to do this article to address the rising cases of hacking of facebook, email and other social media (Smedia) accounts.
In most cases what is said to be facebook or other Smedia accounts hacking is actually an act of Impersonation and not outright Hacking.
That said, let me now explain both terminologies (hacking and Impersonation) in its simplest meaning.
What is Account Hacking?
Hacking in the above context simply means the act of gaining an unauthorized access into someone’s social medial account with an ulterior motive.
What is Impersonation (A.k.a Identity Theft)?
Impersonation in social media is the act of creating a social media account in another person’s name without the authorization of the person; and with the sole aim of deceiving or defrauding the unsuspecting public.
Recall, the key word in both cases is Unauthorized, which means NOT seeking the person’s consent. Anything done in violation of a person’s consent is a crime in itself (all over the world) and it’s tantamount to a criminal redress.
NOW LET’S LOOK AT THE FOLLOWING!
STEPS IN CREATING A SECURED PASSWORD FOR YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT(S).
A secured password is a password that is strong enough and difficult for someone (an intruder) to easily guess and gain an unauthorized access into a person’s account.
A Secured Password Must Contain The Following Elements In It:
- At least one CAPITAL LETTER
- A minimum of 8 characters
- At least one special character. e.g. *, : , #, &, even a comma (,) in itself is a special character
In Order To Secure Your Password The Following RULES Must Be Followed:
- DO NOT share your password with anyone (except a VERY TRUSTED PARTNER).
- DO NOT use the same password for multiple Smedia Accounts.
- DO NOT use anything relating to your Name, Surname, Children Name, Pet Name, Spouse Name, Phone number, Date-of-Birth, or anything that can be easily guessed for a password.
- Change your password at least in every three months.
- Change your password immediately you suspect an unauthorized access into your account or whenever your instinct asks you to do so.
- DO NOT give your password to anyone who claims to be representative of your Bank, Travel Agent, and School etc.
- DO NOT Click on any URL link that is sent to you by an unknown source via email, social media or sms. Instead of clicking directly on the URL link, what you should do is to kindly copy the DOMAIN NAME of the URL (look at the example below) and log into the website directly using a Trusted Web Browser like: Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer etc. Then carefully navigate through the website to see if the said information does independently appear on the website.
- Lastly but VERY IMPORTANTLY, is to write down your new password in your private jotter; and in a coded manner as a backup.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU SUSPECT AN ACCOUNT IMPERSONATOR ON FACEBOOK.
DO NOT be quick to accept any NEW Friend Request (on social media) without doing the following:
- DO NOT accept any New Friend Request from a person who is already your friend without Inboxing or PM’ing (Private chatting or Direct Messaging) the person to know:
- If the New request is coming from the person
- The reason for the New account
- Also ask a couple of probing questions.
- Kindly go through the person’s friends list to know if some of the person’s friends are known to you as persons of reputable character.
- Look at the date the said account was created. This will give you a clue if the account was created for SCAM or not.
- Look at the photo gallery of the new account and compare it with the person’s old account. Don’t accept the new account if the pictures there are just one or two for someone who is a known photo-addict.
- DO NOT accept any New Friend Request without graciously following these rules.
There is currently no strong measure on ground to prevent people from accessing and downloading people’s photos that may be used for genuine or malicious purposes. However you can avoid being a victim to those SCAMMERS out there by following the simple RULES listed above.
*Next time your account is been hacked or you suspect an account impersonation ,and you need a professional solution. Kindly consult us via www.swicts.com